Hypoallergenic jewelry has been made specifically for those of us who experience the awful and uncomfortable reaction with nickel.
Always check the labels!
What is the cause of a nickel allergy?
You might feel safe, you might not react when you wear your favorite jewelry but whether you are 5 or 50 years old you can develop an allergy any time! Unfortunately, once you develop this, you will always be sensitive when exposed to nickel. Whether it's to your rings, necklaces, or bracelets, you will then on need to check the label.
To confirm if you’ve got a nickel allergy check off the below list of symptoms
- Rash/bumps on skin
- Itchy skin
- Redness in skin color
- Dry patches of skin where you would typically wear your jewelry
- Blisters and draining fluid (in severe cases)
‘My wedding band contains nickel and I just became allergic!’
Until nickel allergies do us part
A newly engaged woman’s nightmare, you’ve finally found the one and they have proposed with the perfect ring. Or maybe not such a perfect ring, when you discover that your body has just developed a nickel allergy that you’ve never had until now! Why world why?!
Don’t let this get you down, if this sounds like you, we recommend that you go back to your jeweler to further avoid any more reactions. ‘Why’ you may ask, because they will be able to help you avoid this from continuing. ‘How’ you may ask is by plating the inside of your ring with rhodium to create a metal barrier that is hypoallergenic. This means that you can keep wearing your precious engagement ring.
The yellowing factor of nickel in jewelry
Most gold rings are made with nickel, unless your jeweller specifically tells you that it hasn’t been. A little fun fact about nickel is that it oxidizes and changes over time to be a yellow-ish colour.
The rhodium plating not only will protect you and make your ring more hypoallergenic, but it will also give it that desirable shiny coat!
Nickels achilles heel
If you are a regular swimmer or wear your white gold rings in hot tubs and expose your jewelry to chlorine, it will mean that you need more regular recoating. If you want to protect your nickel sensitive fingers this is an important factor that can help make or break your rings future. This is because chlorine is nickel’s achilles heel, it breaks down the nickel in your rings weakening it one micro hole at a time. To protect the precious memories that your rings hold, it’s a small task to remember and a big consequence to face if not done.
Why you should consider platinum jewelry
If you are searching for jewelry that is hypoallergenic and strong, platinum is your best bet because it doesn’t require it to be alloyed with any other metal like nickel. Whilst traditional white gold rings have a process to protect your fingers from the nickel it’s only effective when you stay on top of replating.
Overall, don’t let nickel tear you and your ring apart! If you develop a nickel allergy and you have a white gold wedding band, there are ways around the reactions. So, just remember don’t over-react and throw out the whole ring, there is a way to have your fairy tale ending with out the rashes.
Leave a Reply